question

Bruce M Simpson bms at spc.org
Tue Sep 3 20:59:39 BST 2002

On Tue, Sep 03, 2002 at 08:23:30PM +0100, Lou Kamenov wrote:
> Hi there,
> Is anybody aware if FreeBSD supports any PCI *DSL modems (not any that i`m aware of) ? I have sort of fight with one PCI ADsl modem Conexant chipset, it seems

/usr/ports/net/pppoa
Alcatel SpeedTouch on USB.

Other than that, no PCI xDSL support at this time. That's yer lot.

If a manufacturer is willing to provide detailed datasheets for their
xDSL ASIC, then able people might be willing to write drivers. Dealing
with vendors is all too frustrating, though, and often they aren't
willing to cough up the docs.

> like this thing has drivers for linux (src/microcode).

If it's anything like their other products, forget it, they only make limited
releases of binary only drivers (with 'source' which just amounts to a wrapper)
and the symbols are bowdlerized/encrypted to make reverse engineering
difficult (but not impossible).

BMS