Identical network card

Paul Civati paul at xciv.org
Tue Sep 3 18:49:02 BST 2002

Stacey Roberts <stacey at Demon.vickiandstacey.com> wrote:

> The nics are both pci (one is already installed and working fine), so
> I'm presuming that its the first of your two options I'll be interested
> in here.

Yes.

> For clarity's sake, please proof my understanding of what you've
> suggested here:
>
> 1] Insert second nic into available slot
> 2] Boot FBSD box
> 3] Both configured nics should then appear in dmesg?

Correct.

Only possible issue, may be the NIC interface numbering, ie. you might
find your current NIC then becomes say fxp1 and the new card may take
over as fxp0.  Purely because I expect the kernel probes things on
what it sees first, and you don't have control over that.  But you can
easily adjust your cabling and interface configuration if that happens.

> I take it that as the current custom kernel already has support for the
> first nic compiled in, there is no need to recompile the kernel for the
> additional nic.

Yep, that should be fine.

-Paul-