Identical network card

Paul Civati paul at xciv.org
Tue Sep 3 17:45:58 BST 2002

Stacey Roberts <stacey at Demon.vickiandstacey.com> wrote:

>    Sorry, I'm getting in on this late, but its something that I'm
> staring in the face at the moment at my site as well.
>
> I'm tasked with implementing a gateway and have access to Netgear FA312
> nics, but I've always been interested in how one would *add* another
> identical (make / model) nic to an already configured system.
>
> If for the sakes of only imparting some information my way, how exactly
> would you go about this?

If the cards are PCI and you have a decent motherboard then the BIOS
will assign IRQs and (I think) most of the FreeBSD ethernet drivers
will pick up extra instances of the same card without you needing to
explicitly define them in the kernel.

For instance if you put two Intel EtherExpressPro cards in there,
they would be probed and assigned as fxp0 and fxp1 interfaces.

For ISA NICs things get more tricky, as the BIOS won't set up the
hardware address or IRQ, so you have to do that yourself.  Normally
you have to do this with a DOS based app, so you have to put one
card in at a time, set the address/IRQ, take the card out, swap
and repeat.

Then, you can put both cards back in and build a custom kernel
that has the correct address/IRQ defined for each card:

  device          ed0     at isa? port 0x280 irq 10
  device          ed1     at isa? port 0x300 irq 11

Or, just put some entries in /boot/kernel.conf as someone else
suggested.

-Paul-