FreeBSD 4.6 as VMWare Guest OS

Jonathan Dean jon.dean at deanuk.net
Tue Sep 3 13:38:14 BST 2002

--=====================_12229314==.ALT

Hi All,
I'm trying to install 4.6-RELEASE as a guest OS under VMWare (basically so
I can practise a make world before I update production systems)
I've used the default settings for FreeBSD that VMWare gives:
Memory: 256MB
HDD: 4GB IDE
CDROM: IDE
FLOPPY: Mapped to A:
NIC: Bridged
USB: 2 port controller

The install runs fine until just after it starts the holographic shell on
virtual terminal 4.
The screen just displays a blue background with "All filesystem information
written successfully" at the bottom.
Virtual Term 2 has "DEBUG: Generating /et/fstab file"
Virtual Term 4 has a shell prompt.
The machine just sits there apparently doing nothing (no CPU usage etc)

I've played around with the configuration but had no luck.
Is anyone else using 4.6-RELEASE under VMWare or does anyone know what
might be causing this problem.

Many Thanks in advance,

Jon

---
Jonathan Dean
jon.dean at deanuk.net             www.jondean.com

Dept. Computer Science, University of Exeter, UK.
j.s.dean at ex.ac.uk               www.dcs.ex.ac.uk

Network Manager, Dean UK Networks.
root at deanuk.net         www.deanuk.net
--=====================_12229314==.ALT

Hi All,<br>
I'm trying to install 4.6-RELEASE as a guest OS under VMWare (basically
so I can practise a make world before I update production systems)<br>
I've used the default settings for FreeBSD that VMWare gives:<br>
Memory: 256MB<br>
HDD: 4GB IDE<br>
CDROM: IDE<br>
FLOPPY: Mapped to A:<br>
NIC: Bridged<br>
USB: 2 port controller<br><br>
The install runs fine until just after it starts the holographic shell on
virtual terminal 4.<br>
The screen just displays a blue background with &quot;All filesystem
information written successfully&quot; at the bottom.<br>
Virtual Term 2 has &quot;DEBUG: Generating /et/fstab file&quot;<br>
Virtual Term 4 has a shell prompt.<br>
The machine just sits there apparently doing nothing (no CPU usage
etc)<br><br>
I've played around with the configuration but had no luck.<br>
Is anyone else using 4.6-RELEASE under VMWare or does anyone know what
might be causing this problem.<br><br>
Many Thanks in advance,<br><br>
Jon<br><br>
<x-sigsep><p></x-sigsep>
<b>Jonathan Dean<br>
Dept. Computer Science, University of Exeter, UK.<br>
Network Manager, Dean UK Networks.<br>