Solaris/FreeBSD tar file incompatibility?

adyas at twowaytv.com adyas at twowaytv.com
Tue Oct 29 16:52:25 GMT 2002

Hi,

Does anyone know of any tar incompatibilities between Solaris (8) and
FreeBSD?  We're creating a tar file on a Solaris box, (around 200MB) and
then attempting to un-tar it on a FreeBSD machine.  The archive looks
different on the FreeBSD machine, files that were within directories now
appear in the tar's root directory.

We don't think the file is corrupt, having transfered the file (ftp) a
number of times with the same results.

Also, I'm sure I've done this before without any problems, I'm thinking
maybe it's a file name length problem?

Ta(r),

Alex..
--
-= alex dyas - webmaster - twowaytv - uk =-