named problem

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Thu Oct 31 23:29:39 GMT 2002

On Thu, Oct 31, 2002 at 10:54:11PM +0000, Dimitris wrote:
> On Thu, 31 Oct 2002 22:47:48 +0000, Matthew Seaman wrote:
>
> >So the number of available descriptors shouldn't limit the number of
> >zones you can serve.
>
> can we assume then, that the open file limit is important only during
> the time when named loads/reloads?

Shouldn't be a limitation then either --- zone files get loaded in
sequence, not in parallel so only one extra fd would be needed.

According to the Cricket book, the "Too many open files" error message
only occurs if you have a large number of IP addresses configured on
the boxes' interfaces and you let named default to binding to all of
them.

I guess the original log message that started this thread was just
informational -- possibly just noting that the number of descriptors
available to the process had been limited to less than the kernel
imposed maximum (sysctl kern.maxfilesperproc), and nothing to lose
sleep over.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way