(OT) -- UK vsat ISPs?

Paul Robinson paul at iconoplex.co.uk
Thu Oct 31 12:52:54 GMT 2002

On Oct 31, Robin Melville <robmel at innotts.co.uk> wrote:

> Does anyone have experience, knowledge of UK ISPs providing VSAT
> connectivity? How much should a person be thinking of paying for such a
> beast?

Tiscali were touting such a solution about a year ago, but so far they've
only got this far:

http://www.tiscali-business.co.uk/satellite/index.html

As the rumour on the grapevine is that Tiscali is getting very close to
calling in receivers (within months according to the FT), I wouldn't hold
your breath.

If you search around, you might find some that can deliver right now who are
resellers of a couple of the big VSAT suppliers, but prices are high. As a
guide, you're probably looking at around 500 quid installation and a three
figure sum per month for around 512Kb/sec and a 250ms latency - i.e. not
particularly brilliant. Or at least, those were the figures I saw about a
year ago.

I'm assuming you're in an area that ADSL isn't available in, but you might
want to consider fixed wireless broadband which might be a comparable price
to VSAT, but available right now. Where *exactly* are you (like, postcode
detail)?

--
Paul Robinson