Solaris/FreeBSD tar file incompatibility?

adyas at twowaytv.co.uk adyas at twowaytv.co.uk
Tue Oct 29 18:19:22 GMT 2002

Yup, fine.  In fact if I ftp from Solaris box A to FreeBSD box, then to
Solaris box B, then tar tfv it, it looks fine.  It's only on the FreeBSD
(4.2) machine that it looks odd.

A little more investigation reveals that Solaris' tar seems to stumble
on long file names.  Ah, I've just read Matthew Seaman's reply which
explains it nicely.  There were indeed some quite long file/paths in there.

Thanks,

Alex..