freebsd using ADSL router, help!

Lou Kamenov lou.kamenov at aeye.net
Tue Oct 29 10:49:15 GMT 2002

In some email I received from "James" <james at physicalsegment.com> on
Tue, 29 Oct 2002 07:42:51 -0000 :
> Again this works fine using DHCP if the router in doing NAT
> The make of my modem is AMX-CA64E
> Oh and I'm running FreeBSD 4.7

I think there is a better option to get what you want, month ago
i did a few tests with one of these adsl routers, it`s not bad at all,
but 1 thing is missing on it IP Aliasing, however I found a better use
of it using "DMZ Host IP", which is kinda mapping the External IP to the
Internal (Which is the DMZ Host itself).
So basically if a packet comes, it will be forwarded straight to the DMZ
Host IP which can do whatever it wants with the packet eg
nat/drop/accept. Also the router handles the ppp connection which is
more than enuf for me, and i`m still in power to pass/block/forward
whatever I want.
Full bridge mode suck on this router(however it will work on linux), in
UK most of the ISP uses a PPPoA, FreeBSD`s ppp supports natively PPPoE.
So far I`ve tried FreeBSD PPPoE <-> Router <-> ISP,  but i couldnt make
it authenticate to the peer and i havent played a lot with it.
If you need some more info gimme a shout:)

HTH, HAND

cheers,
-lk

----

Lou Kamenov	lou at freebsd-bg.org		lou at seclab.aeye.net
FreeBSD BGUG	http://www.freebsd-bg.org	http://www.aeye.net
Key Fingerprint - 936F F64A AD50 2D27 07E7  6629 F493 95AE A297 084A
It`s a free ride when you`ve already paid.