USB UPS under fbsd

Frank Shute frank at esperance-linux.co.uk
Mon Oct 28 11:02:47 GMT 2002

On Mon, Oct 28, 2002 at 10:21:33AM +0000, Lou Kamenov wrote:

> In some email I received from Matthew Seaman
> <m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk> on Sun, 27 Oct 2002 23:07:55 +0000 :
> > On Sun, Oct 27, 2002 at 09:00:10PM +0000, Dimitris wrote:
> > > Does anyone know if its possible to read data out of a USB ups?
> > >
> > > I'm using an APC Back-UP Pro, which connects via a USB cable
> > > to my server. Its recognised as a usb device by the kernel and
> > > its assigned a dev entry.
> >

> I had the same problem with APC Back-UPS 500 CS.
> All you have to do is ask the guys for a serial cable not usb,
> and they will send you one, that`s exactly what i`ve done.
> also take a look at sysutils/nut.

I've got a 420 Back-UPS Pro (a few years old now) & it uses a serial
cable for `smart' mode. I had it working fine on Linux using apcupsd
but have been too lazy to configure it with the cable on FreeBSD as of
yet.

I'm pretty sure that you could get it working with a serial cable on
BSD though ie. through the compatabilty layer or porting it - the
software wasn't that complicated back then (hurrahs for serial ports,
boos & hisses for USB :)

<snip>

--

 Frank

   Boroughbridge.
 Tel: 01423 323019
     ---------
PGP keyID: 0xC0B341A3

http://www.esperance-linux.co.uk/

Those who in quarrels interpose, must often wipe a bloody nose.