USB to PS/2 dongles

Lou Kamenov lou.kamenov at aeye.net
Mon Oct 28 13:42:02 GMT 2002

In some email I received from Bruce M Simpson <bms at spc.org> on Mon, 28
Oct 2002 13:18:06 +0000 :
> Has anybody tried one of these? I purchased one at the weekend and can
> get the keyboard to function via kbdcontrol(8), but the mouse simply
> does not work. Running moused manually, it seems to think the protocol
> is mousesystems. The mouse is definitely present as a HID device (both
> the PS/2 keyboard and PS/2 mouse attached to the dongle appear as one
> device due to there being a USB controller and PIC inside the cable),
> but moving it causes weird cursor screwups.
>
> Any ideas? Eliminating legacy hardware considered a good thing.

Um, not exactly but according to moused(8), the only available type for
usb is "auto", however you still have the -p (port0) option, i have an
Logitech USB photomouse and it works with:
moused -t auto -p /dev/uhid0

if you want some more answers take a look at
/usr/src/usr.sbin/moused.c:189 & 705

cheers,
-lk

----

Lou Kamenov	lou at freebsd-bg.org		lou at seclab.aeye.net
FreeBSD BGUG	http://www.freebsd-bg.org	http://www.aeye.net
Key Fingerprint - 936F F64A AD50 2D27 07E7  6629 F493 95AE A297 084A
It`s a free ride when you`ve already paid.