USB UPS under fbsd

Lou Kamenov lou.kamenov at aeye.net
Mon Oct 28 10:21:33 GMT 2002

In some email I received from Matthew Seaman
<m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk> on Sun, 27 Oct 2002 23:07:55 +0000 :
> On Sun, Oct 27, 2002 at 09:00:10PM +0000, Dimitris wrote:
> > Does anyone know if its possible to read data out of a USB ups?
> >
> > I'm using an APC Back-UP Pro, which connects via a USB cable
> > to my server. Its recognised as a usb device by the kernel and
> > its assigned a dev entry.

I had the same problem with APC Back-UPS 500 CS.
All you have to do is ask the guys for a serial cable not usb,
and they will send you one, that`s exactly what i`ve done.
also take a look at sysutils/nut.

> According to
> http://www.apcupsd.com/users_manual/configure.html#ConfigGeneral,
> apcupsd has USB support after version 3.9.8.  That would seem to be
> support for USB under Linux: no idea if it would work on FBSD.

Same with sysutils/nut
it *might* work on linux (version 0.45.3), but for now
i think it supports only serial connection for APC according to
apcsmart(8)
On other hand if you`re in a hurry, you can make a serial cable easily.

It`s up to you - order or make :)
however that would help,
http://www.pitt.edu/~bdgregg/Cable_Wireing.html#RJ45%20to%20DB25
RJ45 to RS232(DB25/DB9) right? G`luck.

> Seems the version in Ports is only at 3.8.5

cheers,
-lk

----

Lou Kamenov	lou at freebsd-bg.org		lou at seclab.aeye.net
FreeBSD BGUG	http://www.freebsd-bg.org	http://www.aeye.net
Key Fingerprint - 936F F64A AD50 2D27 07E7  6629 F493 95AE A297 084A
It`s a free ride when you`ve already paid.