Problem with Windows Product Recovery CD after abortive attempt to install FreeBSD.

sionii sionii at onetel.net.uk
Sat Oct 26 17:21:22 BST 2002

26/10/02><17:00

Hello!

      I have a Windows Me PC which I re-partitioned to have 4 partitions as
follows: 1. Windows 2&3 DOS 4. LINUX.
      Recently I attempted to install FreeBSD 4.4 on one of the DOS
partitions. The installation failed but it left the Boot Manager in place.
      Some days later when I booted my PC from my Windows Me Product
Recovery CD I got the following error message:

      "THIS PC CONFIGURATION IS NOT SUPPORTED, YOU CANNOT USE THIS WINDOWS
RESTORE CD WITH THIS PC"

        Since trying to install FreeBSD was the the only major change I had
made to my machine I can only suspect this is the cause of the problem.

        Unfortunately my PC supplier (DAN Technology) ceased trading earlier
this year so I can't get any help from them. I have tried various things to
get the CD to work without success, including deleting the freeBSD
partition, then using Norton Utilities to restore the DOS partition and
reformatting it with Fdisk ( MS version). This put everything back as it was
before trying to install FreeBSD but the product Recovery CD still gives the
same error message.

        I would be most grateful for any ideas on how to reconfigure my PC
so the the CD runs OK.

        Thanks,
         John Gameson