getting cups working with smbspool

Scott Mitchell scott.mitchell at mail.com
Sun Oct 20 22:03:37 BST 2002

On Sun, Oct 20, 2002 at 04:56:09PM +0100, Neil McGann wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm trying to get a windows network printer working with my fbsd4.7 box.
> I've been fighting my way through getting cups working and have got as far
> as adding samba smbspool support to cups (using latest ports of cups and
> samba).
>
> All the on-line docs I can find suggest the following command will do the
> trick:
>
> ln -s `which smbspool` /usr/lib/cups/backend/smb
>
> The problem I'm having is that there isn't a ..../lib/cups/backend
> directory anywhere (either /usr/lib/.. or /usr/local/lib.... etc.).
>
> Where is cups looking for backends on freebsd? Ayone else got cups-samba
> talking? (not as the freebsd box being a server)

Try /usr/local/libexec/cups/backend.

I did get this working eventually, but there was a lot of messing about
with authentication options before everything would play nicely together.
I ended up creating a special SMB printing user on the Win2K box, with cups
having its username/password embedded in some config file somewhere.
Thinking hard about moving back to apsfilter, which was altogether nicer.

	Scott