Getting netatalk running on FreeBSD

Stefan Bethke stb at hanse.de
Tue Oct 15 09:50:09 BST 2002

On Mon, 14 Oct 2002, Julian Rawcliffe wrote:

> Netatalk - atalkd (version 1.5.3.1) - builds on my 4.6.2 box without issue,
> but any attempt to start it gives the message,
>
> netatalksocket: Protocol not supported
> socket: Protocol not supported
> atalkd: can't get interfaces, exiting.
>
> Now, on Linux I'd make sure the appletalk module had been compiled.

As someone else pointed out already, you'll need to add AppleTalk support
to your kernel, by adding the "options NETATALK" line to get full
AppleTalk support.

If you only need file sharing, and your MacOS is not too old, you can run
afpd in AFP-over-TCP mode only; see the man page for afpd(8), afpd.conf(5)
and /usr/local/etc/afpd.conf for details.

On your Mac (Mac OS < 10), open Chooser, click AppleShare, and click the
"Connect to Server" (or somesuch) button, then enter the IP adress or the
hostname of your FreeBSD server; this wil connect you directly to the
afpd, without need for AppleTalk.

HTH,
Stefan