mysql start problem

Frank Shute frank at esperance-linux.co.uk
Tue Oct 22 12:02:31 BST 2002

On Tue, Oct 22, 2002 at 10:56:20AM +0100, Robin Garbutt wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm having trouble starting mysql, I get the following:-
>
> bash# Starting mysqld daemon with databases from /usr/local/var
> 021022 10:54:16  mysqld ended
>
> anyone any ideas?  It was running fine previously, I stopped it and went to
> restart it, however it just won't crank up.
>
> any help would be much appreciated.

All I can suggest is to have a look at the appropriate manual page:

/usr/local/share/doc/mysql/manual.html#Starting_server

on my box. That should give you a few hints as to what is going on.

# /usr/local/libexec/mysqld --help

should show you various values that mysql is using. I don't know how
you are starting the daemon but maybe it isn't finding basedir,
datadir or something.

Try starting it with:

# /usr/local/etc/rc.d/mysql-server.sh start

if you're not already.

Oh, and just make sure the daemon isn't already actually running
before you try and start it ;)

$ ps ax | grep mysql

--

 Frank

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
   Boroughbridge.
 Tel: 01423 323019
     ---------
PGP keyID: 0xC0B341A3
*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

http://www.esperance-linux.co.uk/

Details from a kangaroo court:

Q: [Mr Milosevic]
	Is it true that they offered on that occasion to you certain
	protective measures? They told you you would be in prison for
	six months and would be tried if you don't agree to charge me
	falsely, to level false allegations against me? Is that true
	or not?

A: [Prosecution witness]
	They spoke to me about the difficult position I was in. They
	warned me against the possible consequences and offered me an
	option in the form of accusing Milosevic, as the person who
	issued orders for those criminal offences, which would relieve
	me of liability before a criminal court.