IDE RAID

Bruce M Simpson bms at spc.org
Mon Oct 21 09:17:14 BST 2002

On Fri, Oct 18, 2002 at 10:59:41PM +0100, Paul Civati wrote:
[ata(4) support for Promise FastTrack 100]
> on (mother)board version of their 100 TX2 controller AFAICS.

Just installed 4.6.2-RELEASE on my home PC which I finally got working again.

The culprit? A duff power supply, and a faulty wall socket. The cure? An
extension lead from another kitchen socket on the ring main, and an Enermax
350W power supply which is surprisingly much, much quieter! This was suggested
by a friend, and just plain solved the problem.

Anyway, the FastTrack 100 seems to be recognised by the ata(4) driver. I don't
have any drives on this thing, so I can't confirm 100%. May move the
Barracuda I bought on to the Promise for a bit more speed, as it's slaved
to ad0 at the moment.

However, my ISA option ROM space is now a full house (rl, fxp, Promise, VGA
BIOS, and the stuff board vendors integrate into Award ROMs to support
Symbios out of the box..oh and the vr0 boot ROM...) and therefore my PCI
to Cardbus bridge card doesn't work, but that's another problem. :-)

BMS