Ethernet nic

Adrian Wontroba aw1 at stade.co.uk
Sat Oct 19 01:56:46 BST 2002

On Tue, Oct 15, 2002 at 11:21:46AM +0100, Nuno Pimenta wrote:
> I need to choose de best ethernet and isdn nics.

A fairly painless, if expensive, way to go with ISDN is to use an ISDN
router.  I use (but not much any more) a XyZel Prestige 200.  Other
people seemed happy with the Cisco equivalent.  With so many people
dumping ISDN for ASDN / Cable they are often for sale second-hand quite
cheaply.

If you are feeling rich, I believe that there are "gateway" boxes which
do ADSL, ISDN, are WiFi access points and have a 4 port hub built in.

Everything mentioned above has some form of configurable firewall built
in.  The paranoic, like me, prefer to have a real (FreeBSD) firewall
between anything which counts and the world outside.  Even with a not
connected for that long ISDN connection I was getting some interesting /
worrying messages in the security log.  With "broadband" things are much
worse.

I'm keeping my router in case I move to the country.  Large chunks
of which (and even some towns) has no access to anything faster than
ISDN.  Some bits can't have ISDN and have to rely on POTS.  BT's current
broadband access sales push is really rubbing the salt in to some (8-(

--
Adrian Wontroba