Trivial Boot Configuration Question

Julian Rawcliffe julian.rawcliffe at ntlworld.com
Tue Oct 15 20:59:59 BST 2002

On Tuesday 15 October 2002 08:52, you wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 14, 2002 at 10:50:57PM +0100, Julian Rawcliffe wrote:
> > When my FreeBSD 4.6.2 box is starting up, I get three options
> > displayed:
> >
> > F1: FreeBSD
> > F2: FreeBSD
> > F5: Drive 0
> > Default: F1

Alas, my machine doesn't remember it's previous setting, but it does beep
when the default doesn't boot so I know when to press F5 - the box is
running headless so there are no visual cues.

> Have a look at the man page for boot0cfg(8).  I don't know whether you
> can do this or not, but if you can, that'll be the place to find out.

I had looked through boot0cfg(8), but it would help if I knew what the F1, etc
actually refer to in terms of stuff on the disk - I only have one and only
half of it is used. I suspect any reinstall may be required it I really want
to fix this. Either that, or I let it run 24x7.
> If it can't, you may wish to look at an alternative like grub.

This is probably more likely, though I've heard that grub isn't exactly up to
much.

Julian