Dual-port NIC

Lou Kamenov lou.kamenov at aeye.net
Tue Oct 15 14:00:08 BST 2002

In some email I received from Sam Pikesley
<samdavidpikesley at yahoo.co.uk> on Tue, 15 Oct 2002 13:40:05 +0100 (BST)
:

>  --- Andrew <andrew.hodgson at blueyonder.co.uk> wrote: >
> Quick question,
> > I have been given a dual port network card (Accton
> > EN1207TX, I think - dmesg
> > says it's using the de driver).
> > Has anyone got experience with these things? That is
> > to say, can they do
> > anything a single port card can't do? My hope is
> > that each port can be used
> > independently (one is 10Mb, one is 100Mb) so my
> > (hypothetical) NAT box only
> > needs one card rather than two.
> > I guess I mean, can each port have a unique MAC
> > address?
>
> Hmm, might be like the NICs in Sun T1's which have the
> same MAC address on both ports for failover
> porpoises...

possible on freebsd
ifconfig %device ether %desired_mac_addr

cheers,
-lk

----

Lou Kamenov	lou at freebsd-bg.org		lou at seclab.aeye.net
FreeBSD BGUG	http://www.freebsd-bg.org	http://www.aeye.net
Key Fingerprint - 936F F64A AD50 2D27 07E7  6629 F493 95AE A297 084A
It`s a free ride when you`ve already paid.