Numpty question

Neil Ford neil at smudgypixels.net
Tue Oct 15 11:52:29 BST 2002

On 15/10/02 11:38 am, "Paul Civati" <paul at xciv.org> wrote:

> Neil Ford <neil at smudgypixels.net> wrote:
>
>> Okay, this is something I should know but for some reason it never
>> sticks around....
>>
>> How does one restart networking services without rebooting the box?
>
> # route delete default
> # ifconfig fxp0 x.x.x.x netmask y.y.y.y up
> # route add default z.z.z.z
>
>> I have a colo box on which I need to change the IP address and don't
>> want to reboot if I can possibly help it.
>
> You may also then need to restart any processes that are specifically
> bound to the individual interface IP rather than *:port, check with:
>
> % netstat -an | grep LISTEN
>
> -Paul-

Thanks to Paul and Lou for the answers.

What I forgot to mention (Doh!) was that I need the box to run the old and
new Ips simultaneously whilst I get the DNS changes propagated.

So taking Paul's suggestion I suspect I need to add in

# ifconfig fxp0 alias0 x.x.x.x netmask y.y.y.y up (old ip address)

Which should then hopefully mean that the interface will respond to both
addresses, correct?

I know how to specify this in rc.conf, just never had to do it manually.

Neil.
--
Neil Ford
neil[at]smudgypixels[dot]net