Numpty question

Lou Kamenov lou.kamenov at aeye.net
Tue Oct 15 11:26:08 BST 2002

In some email I received from Neil Ford <neil at smudgypixels.net> on Tue,
15 Oct 2002 11:15:39 +0100 :

> Okay, this is something I should know but for some reason it never
> sticks around....
>
> How does one restart networking services without rebooting the box?
>
> I have a colo box on which I need to change the IP address and don't
> want to reboot if I can possibly help it.

Hi Neil,

hint hint, make the system do it for you
you have to change the IP that means add the route after changing the
IP? I dont know what is your current situation(network situation) but
what i`d do is:

[sample algorithm]
route -n flush or route delete default %gateway
ifconfig %device -alias %old_ip (it will work, never mind the alias)
ifconfig %device inet %new.ip netmask %mask
route add default %gateway (any static routes you know how to add them).
[/end]

Other way, change it in rc.conf, rerun rc.network
sort of:
my at prompt~% . /etc/rc.conf
my at prompt~% sh /etc/rc.network
[%dot%space%forwardslashETC%forwardslashRC.CONF]

HTH, HAND.

cheers,
-lk

----

Lou Kamenov	lou at freebsd-bg.org		lou at seclab.aeye.net
FreeBSD BGUG	http://www.freebsd-bg.org	http://www.aeye.net
Key Fingerprint - 936F F64A AD50 2D27 07E7  6629 F493 95AE A297 084A
It`s a free ride when you`ve already paid.