Trivial Boot Configuration Question

Lou Kamenov lou.kamenov at aeye.net
Tue Oct 15 11:13:31 BST 2002

In some email I received from Sam Pikesley
<samdavidpikesley at yahoo.co.uk> on Tue, 15 Oct 2002 10:42:24 +0100 (BST):

> OK, but what about this: my desktop dual-boots FreeBSD
> and Win2K. I want to configure it so that it defaults
> to Win2K (at my girlfriend's behest, you understand
> ;), not whatever-it-last-booted. I tried to configure
> it using boot0cfg(8) and managed to hose my partition
> table... any clues?

Simple, use Win2k bootloader.

## this is a custom boot.ini yours might be different.

- snip from boot.ini -

[boot loader]
timeout=30
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows 2000
Professional" /fastdetect
C:\mbrs\mbr-linux="Slackware/2.4.19 Kernel"
C:\mbrs\mbr-bsd="FreeBSD"

- snip -

That`s how it works for me, the default OS is Windows with timeout 30
sec which could be decreased/increased..
mbr-linux - dd if=/dev/%linux-partition of=mbr-linux count=1 bs=512
mbr-bsd - dd if=/dev/%bsd-slice of=mbr-bsd count=1 bs=512

Anyways you got the drift.

this is a 30 sec solution.. and it works!

cheers,
-lk

----

Lou Kamenov	lou at freebsd-bg.org		lou at seclab.aeye.net
FreeBSD BGUG	http://www.freebsd-bg.org	http://www.aeye.net
Key Fingerprint - 936F F64A AD50 2D27 07E7  6629 F493 95AE A297 084A
It`s a free ride when you`ve already paid.