wireless

Roger Hardiman roger at telepresence.dmem.strath.ac.uk
Tue Oct 1 08:46:09 BST 2002

Hi

I have Cisco Aironet 350 cards and Lucent (now Agere) Wavelan cards.
Both work great with my 4.6 laptop talking to my SMC Barricade Access Point
/ Router
and with a Netgear wireless router.

Do not worry about Bluetooth interference.
It is not a problem.
My laptop has both Bluetooth and Wireless lan and I use them both at the
same time with
no noticable problems.
(Wireless lan sits on one channel. Bluetooth hops channels several hundered
times a second
so bluetooth and wireless lan only 'clash' for a small portion of the time
anyway)

3Com make a card called the xJack with an extendable antenna. This is NOT
supported
by FreeBSD. While most 3com kit may be from symbol, the xJack came from
a company called "No Wires Necessary"
There is a linux driver, but it is not ported to FreeBSD.

Roger