FreeBSD Security + Firewall set up

Dimitris Dimitris
Wed Nov 27 12:10:04 GMT 2002

On Tue, 26 Nov 2002 15:24:33 -0600, Georges wrote:

>when done, goto www.sygate.com and at the bottom of the page there is
>another page for testing. Follow the instructions
>to test your friewall.

While running the port scanner on that website, i noticed that sshd unde=
fbsd reports the operating system to the remote client.

For example, my sshd reports:
SSH-1.99-OpenSSH_3.4p1 FreeBSD-20020702

The sshd on linux only reports:
SSH-1.99-OpenSSH_3.1p1

I consider this a security risk. I take all precautions not to advertise=

the operating system that i'm using, and sshd just plainly does the oppo=
site :(

Idealy, it shouldn't even report the version number (3.4p1) just in case=

there are vulnerabilities on it. That doesn't mean it makes things a lot=

more secure, but it helps a little bit by removing information that can
be used by someone else.

=FE H.I.C. & D.B.S. =FE OS/2 Warp =FE Hellas =FE
=FE ServerConfig =FE ConfigEdit =FE OS/2 UK UG =FE

=FE Sometimes i think there might be more to life =FE
=FE than having a really really ridiculously fast computer =FE