RAID 5 solutions?

Lou Kamenov lou.kamenov at aeye.net
Tue Nov 26 14:48:15 GMT 2002

In some email I received from Paul Robinson <paul at iconoplex.co.uk> on
Tue, 26 Nov 2002 14:08:51 +0000 :
> On Nov 26, Lou Kamenov <lou.kamenov at aeye.net> wrote:
>
> > yes, but how long it would take you to restore the data back?!
> > there are various of key resons, why not tape, and why not this or
> > that. Rsync wont solve the problem nor nfs, the solutions is called
> > CODA.. whooo ;)
>
> OK, rsync was meant as a tongue-in-cheek comment. Last time I looked
> at CODA (and the old AFS gubbins) it was not in a good way at all. In
> fact, it looked hideous. Just checked out the website now though and
> it looks like somebody is actually making it work quite nicely. I
> might have to have a play.
Right, rsync is an amazing tool, however coda has number of features
like replication and offline/disconnected operations.. and they look
pretty good though. Also i think the code for FreeBSD is a bit broken,
anyways, try with some of the newer versions..

> > i`m already there and waiting for you :)))
>
> I'll be there. If you have any hints/advice/tips/whatever, feel free
> to throw them my way.
>
> But you do everything with IDE by the sounds of it, which means I
> shouldn't really be listening to you for sane advice. ;-)

It all your fault :)

cheers,
-lk

----

Lou Kamenov	lou at freebsd-bg.org		lou at seclab.aeye.net
FreeBSD BGUG	http://www.freebsd-bg.org	http://www.aeye.net
Key Fingerprint - 936F F64A AD50 2D27 07E7  6629 F493 95AE A297 084A
One advantage of talking to yourself is that you know at least
somebody's listening. - Franklin P. Jones