RAID 5 solutions?

Pete French pete at twisted.org.uk
Mon Nov 25 15:06:11 GMT 2002

> wondering if anyone had recommendations of RAID cards which are
> well supported under FreeBSD.

I've been using the Compaq controllers and consider them to be
excellent. Started with SMART-2SL and have subsequently used
3200 and currently a 4200 all with extremely good results. The
cards are suppoerted using the ida driver in FreeBSD. Performance
is good, (though I am getting some puzzling benchmark results
currently - see -STABLE for details) and the controllers are
readily available, plus all backwrd compatible.

> Using SCSI would be a lot more expensive than IDE; does it have
> any significant advantages for this application?  I'm not
> expecting the machine to be pounding its harddrives 24x7.

I'm biased - I think SCSI is always a better bet for all the usual
reasons. In RAID-5 applications though, the bus bandwidth is a much
bigger isssue than anywhere else, as you are potentially making
four disc accesses for each write. Thus the faster speed of
the SCSI bus is a significant advantage in this case.

-bat. [does anyone make RAID-5 IDE controllers ?]