Input/output error

Jeff LaCoursiere jeff at jeff.net
Sun Nov 24 22:53:48 GMT 2002

I am pretty certain that bad block mapping is handled by the controller in
the disk casing (whereas with SCSI it is up to the OS/SCSI controller, and
the controller in the case is basically stupid).  Now a guess - if you
start showing bad blocks on an IDE drive it has already used up all of its
bad block space, and the disk is ready for the circular file.  I think the
bad block list is usually a finite size...