Input/output error

Stefan Bethke stefan.bethke at hanse.de
Sun Nov 24 22:47:41 GMT 2002

Am Sonntag, 24.11.02, um 23:34 Uhr (Europe/Berlin) schrieb Stefan
Bethke:

> As a historical note: BSD had some code to perform the same function
> (mark sectors as bad, and transparently map them to spare sectors).
> It's been a long time I messed with MFM/RLL drives; I think this was
> around 2.2 or so. I believe this functionality was nuked around 3.0 or
> so, but I might be mistaken.

According to the bad144(8) man page:
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/
man.cgi?query=bad144&sektion=8&apropos=0&manpath=FreeBSD+2.0.5-RELEASE

it got added in 4.1BSD. According to CVSWeb, it got yanked from 4.0; it
was still present in all 3.x and 2.x releases:
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/usr.sbin/bad144/Attic/bad144.8

Stefan

--
Stefan Bethke
Tallence GmbH, Posthorngaesschen 2, D-93047 Regensburg, Germany

Important. Antidisclaimer. This e-mail is not and cannot, by its
nature, be confidential. En route from me to you, it will pass
across the public Internet, easily readable by any number of system
administrators along the way. If you have received this message by
mistake, it would be ridiculous for me to tell you not to read it or
copy to anyone else, because, let's face it, if it's a message
revealing confidential information or that could embarrass me
intensely, that's precisely what you'll do. Who wouldn't?

Likewise, it is superfluous for me to claim copyright in the
contents, because I own that anyway, even if you print out a hard
copy or disseminate this message all over the known Universe. I
don't know why so many corporate mail servers feel impelled to
attach a disclaimer to the bottom of every e-mail message saying
otherwise. If you don't know either, why not e-mail your corporate
lawyers and system administrators and ask them why they insist on
contributing so much to the waste of bandwidth.

(http://www.newscientist.com/opinion/opfeedback.jsp?id=ns233199#27)