MS wheel mouse

Jon Schneider jon at axismilton.ltd.uk
Sun Nov 24 12:27:54 GMT 2002

I feel really bad at having to post this question to the list. I'm
either missing something or the docs are over optimistic. Configuring
XFree86 always seems to be a nightmare. Mice give me more grief than
video cards and the latter are pretty bad !

I have FreeBSD 4.7, an MS Intellimouse Explorer (the matless optical
one with the wheel and two extra side buttons) plugged into my PS/2
port, and have purged and upgraded XFree86 to 4.2.0 .

On bootup there are a few lines that identify it on psm0 correctly.

However I don't seem to be able to get the wheel to work. I'm using
xev before worrying about anything more complicated. No moused
involved.

Reading

http://www.xfree86.org/4.2.0/mouse3.html#6
saying that "Auto" protocol support is really efficient in these versions. Yeh
right.
http://www.xfree86.org/4.2.0/mouse6.html#27

You'd think it would work.

Specifying Protocol ExplorerPS/2 says it isn't supported and Auto or PS/2 give me
buttons 4 and 5 for the outer ones but no wheel even with options
"ZAxisMapping" "N6 N7" and "Buttons" "7". Also tried N4 N5.

I could be barking up the wrong tree but I wrote a tiny program to do
an ioctl(/dev/psm0...MOUSE_SETLEVEL...) to set the level to 1 before
starting X and found that it reverts to 0 once the thing exits.
Though it does make the light flash and the ioctl is successful and
GETLEVEL reads back 1 again.

Jon