Choosing OS

Paul Robinson paul at iconoplex.co.uk
Thu Nov 21 13:05:05 GMT 2002

On Nov 20, Roy Stark <roy.stark at ukonline.co.uk> wrote:

> Thanks for the responses, however I have no idea of what any of you were
> trying to get across to me.

Oh dear.

> This is what I am aiming to achieve;
>
> I am starting up a company (Engineering and Software) recruitment, I had a

That might be your first mistake - you know that Software recruitment is a
really soft market right now, yeah? Anyway, onto your problem:

> friend setup SME server on a PC which collects email and hosts my site. This
> application is however limited as what I am wanting to do is;
> *	set up a PC to receive and send email for users,

Depending on what you mean by 'users' you might just want a PC with outlook
installed on it under windows. Or you might want sendmail.

> *	act as a proxy gateway so internal staff can browse the internet,

Again, if you have Win98 you can do this already. Otherwise, you want to
read up on NAT.

> *	act as a host for my website so I can easily place our ads (Mysql)
> on our site (see www.master-place.co.uk),

Either get webhosting off-site, most these days have MySQL support, or you
might want to look at apache, php and mysql. All available via Google.

> *	make a public directory with subdirectories and allow public access
> to certain areas depending on password so the can download files I place
> there (maybe a FreeBSD and/or Linux mirror)

Anonymous FTP? unless you know what you're doing, be very, very wary.

> Because I am more familiar with MS I would like to stick to this for my
> network with a server controlling the workstations and allowing printer,
> files, etc, resources.

With that in mind, why are you asking on a FBSD list?

--
Paul Robinson