which shell to learn "Shell programming"?!

Tom Hukins tom at FreeBSD.org
Wed Nov 20 21:48:59 GMT 2002

On Wed, Nov 20, 2002 at 09:37:54PM +0000, redjupiter wrote:

> I find myself repeating little tasks here and there. We got a lot of
> utilities and scripts which we found useful and so we want to learn it,
> understand it and modify to suit our needs. Like starting up services
> and servers, firewall scripts, network scripts, backups, revision
> control scripts and ... etc.

You'll almost certianly need some knowledge of sh then, as it's used
to manage daemons (the Unix term for what Windows calls services) and
firewall scripts.

> We are investigating Perl and we have downloaded some tutorials, any
> recommendation (free for now :-) ).

learn.perl.org <http://learn.perl.org/> is a good place to start.
Perl Monks <http://perlmonks.org/> contains lots of useful information
and is a good place to ask questions (after searching to check your
question hasn't been asked before).

Tom