which shell to learn "Shell programming"?!

Bruce M Simpson bms at spc.org
Wed Nov 20 20:31:41 GMT 2002

On Wed, Nov 20, 2002 at 07:02:14PM -0000, Peter Pimley wrote:
> "which is the standard shell?"
> hee hee!
>
> Prepare for a number of responses roughly equal to the number of available
> shells!
>
> I'd say bash with a spot of perl to spice things up, but see previous line.

Bash programming considered harmful.

A number of people in the organisation I currently work for write their
scripts for bash only, because Linux is usually what they have installed
on their desktop systems.

Needless to say I don't condone this practice in any way, because if you
want your scripts to be portable between operating systems, one shouldn't
rely on non-standard shells.

sh, on the other hand, is specified in several POSIX standards, so it's a
fair bet if you stick to Bourne sh, your scripts will work on production
UNIX systems such as FreeBSD and Solaris, and even more exotic embedded
and realtime variants such as QNX and VxWorks.

BMS