FreeBSD, NTL, and a USB modem (Terayon)

Ceri Davies ceri at FreeBSD.org
Thu May 30 21:00:26 BST 2002

On Wed, May 29, 2002 at 07:24:20PM +0100, Nik Clayton wrote:
> How do,
>
> Anyone using FreeBSD with an NTL cable modem connection -- I think they
> use Terayon modems.  A colleague in the office is wondering whether this
> is supported.

I can definitively say "yes, it's supported" (I am using that, and I also
happen to be hostmaster at ntl.com).

I haven't tried the USB connection, but with an ethernet card it works fine.

The only caveat is that if he's using a different ethernet card than one he's
previously used with the same account (e.g., if he's moving the cable modem
from a windows machine), then he may need to turn the cable modem off for a
period up to four hours before it will allow him to reconnect with a different
MAC address (I know...).

An empty /etc/dhclient.conf should work just fine.

Ceri

--
get the cool shoe shine