FreeBSD, NTL, and a USB modem (Terayon)

Mark Hughes mh_lists at digitalspy.co.uk
Thu May 30 16:18:07 BST 2002

On Wed, May 29, 2002 at 08:23:14PM +0100, Mark Hughes wrote:
> > Anyone using FreeBSD with an NTL cable modem connection -- I think they
> > use Terayon modems.  A colleague in the office is wondering whether this
> > is supported.
>
>> I don't have any personal experience, but the modem provides a simple
>> ethernet connection and requires no drivers etc, so I can't see any
reason
>> why it wouldn't work.

> I should have been more explicit (rather than just leaving it in the
> subject line) -- is anyone using the *USB* modems?

I'm almost certain the Terayon modems used by NTL have both ethernet and
USB - I'm pretty much absolutely sure they don't do a USB only version (or
if there is one, it's not used by NTL). (See
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/displayinfo.php?id=4416 ).

As to whether it can be supported using the USB port should you choose to, I
don't know - I doubt it but could be wrong.

Mark