adsl modems

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at plasm.demon.co.uk
Wed May 29 07:31:26 BST 2002

On Tue, May 28, 2002 at 09:02:59PM +0100, William Cooper wrote:
> We might be getting ADSL, their 'Business 500 Plug & Go' anyway
> according to their website, we will be sent a 'Intel ADSL modem' , and
> so far I've only seen support for the touch speed ADSL modem in FreeBSD,
> also its well documented, anyone use this service/modem with FreeBSD,
> and can I find any webpages on using it ?

Check out http://www.adslguide.org.uk/ --- if you're looking for ADSL
service, this is the place to go to compare all the different UK
providers.

The 'Business 500 Plug & Go' you describe sounds like BTOpenworld's
product, which actually looks quite reasonable price wise (but there's
cheaper available for the same sort of product).  If this is what
you're going for, then they apparently do a wires-only option, so you
could provide your own router.  I'm just in the process of setting up
ADSL at home, and my researches have lead me to the conclusion that an
ADSL router is the way to go with FreeBSD.

A router will be more expensive up front than a USB modem.  Check out
https://www.dsl-warehouse.co.uk/ as a source for ADSL kit.  An ADSL
router with firewall features and a single ethernet port can be
obtained for about =A3140.00

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20
                                                      Savill Way
Tel: +44 1628 476614                                  Marlow
Fax: +44 0870 0522645                                 Bucks., SL7 1TH UK