SpeedTouch problems

Mark Hughes mh_lists at digitalspy.co.uk
Tue May 28 04:21:47 BST 2002

------=_NextPart_000_0CDE_01C205FF.2E56E040

> > If you are using 4.4 or older, then its definetly due to bad kernel
> driver.
>=20
> > I had the same problem with the ALI USB chipset, i opened a bug, and
> > it was fixed in 5.0-C some months ago, which came down to 4.5-R.
>=20
> > The bug was generic and affected many chipsets, it even happened
> > on my IBM ThinkPad 600E during high traffic uploads.
>=20
> ooooh... could be. I'd just assumed it was the chipset 'cause of the
> hundreds of very well documented complaints about the via usb chipset =
in
> relation to the speedtouch usb - didn't actually bother thinking it =
might be
> a bug...
>=20
> That'll teach me.
>=20
> Mark
> (heads towards cvsup :) )

(comes back from cvsup) --> well, that went remarkably well, my first =
time upgrading a running system by any method other than =
blank/re-install (I'd messed the system up so badly last time it came to =
reinstall that, believe me, that was the only way :D)... even the =
mergemaster bit that I was dreading was amazingly easy. I'm now running =
4.6-RC

And the upshot is, I'm now doing a test upload - 10MB up so far (past =
where the problems normally occur) and absolutely no problems =
whatsoever. I'm quite annoyed with myself for not investigating the =
problem properly and just blaming dodgy hardware for all these months... =

Thanks Dimitris for that - I'd never even have looked at it had you not =
said that.=20

Mark

------=_NextPart_000_0CDE_01C205FF.2E56E040

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-7">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Courier New" size=3D2>&gt; &gt; If you are using 4.4 =
or older,=20
then its definetly due to bad kernel<BR>&gt; driver.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; =
&gt; I had=20
the same problem with the ALI USB chipset, i opened a bug, and<BR>&gt; =
&gt; it=20
was fixed in 5.0-C some months ago, which came down to 4.5-R.<BR>&gt; =
<BR>&gt;=20
&gt; The bug was generic and affected many chipsets, it even =
happened<BR>&gt;=20
&gt; on my IBM ThinkPad 600E during high traffic uploads.<BR>&gt; =
<BR>&gt;=20
ooooh... could be. I'd just assumed it was the chipset 'cause of =
the<BR>&gt;=20
hundreds of very well documented complaints about the via usb chipset =
in<BR>&gt;=20
relation to the speedtouch usb - didn't actually bother thinking it =
might=20
be<BR>&gt; a bug...<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; That'll teach me.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt;=20
Mark<BR>&gt; (heads towards cvsup :) )<BR></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Courier New" size=3D2>(comes back from cvsup) --&gt; =
well, that=20
went remarkably well, my first time upgrading a running system by any =
method=20
other than blank/re-install (I'd messed the system up so badly last time =
it came=20
to reinstall that, believe me, that was the only way :D)... even the =
mergemaster=20
bit that I was dreading was amazingly easy.&nbsp;I'm now running=20
4.6-RC</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Courier New" size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Courier New"><FONT size=3D2>And the upshot is, I'm =
now doing a=20
test upload - 10MB up so far (past where the problems normally occur) =
and=20
absolutely no problems whatsoever. I'm quite annoyed with myself for not =

investigating the problem properly and just blaming dodgy hardware for =
all these=20
months... </FONT></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Courier New"><FONT =
size=3D2></FONT></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Courier New"><FONT size=3D2>Thanks Dimitris for =
that&nbsp;- I'd=20
never even have looked at it had you not said that. </FONT></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Courier New"><FONT =
size=3D2></FONT></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Courier New"><FONT=20
size=3D2>Mark<FONT></DIV></FONT></FONT></FONT></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0CDE_01C205FF.2E56E040--