Masquerade the from field using sendmail

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at plasm.demon.co.uk
Fri May 24 19:54:19 BST 2002

On Thu, May 23, 2002 at 09:30:25PM +0100, Jose Marques wrote:
> On Wed, 22 May 2002, Matthew Seaman wrote:
>
> > MASQUERADE_AS(`vanity.domain')dnl
> > MASQUERADE_DOMAIN(`what_I_put_in_confDOMAIN_NAME')dnl
>
> That's a bit too universal for what I want.  Ho hum, I suspect the real
> solution is to try exim or some other mail system.  Many thanks for your
> help.

On second thoughts, if your MUA sets up your message headers correctly
already, and the confDOMAIN_NAME setting solves your problem with mail
submission, then you probably don't need any sort of masquerade
features at all.

Or there's the limited_masquerade FEATURE which stops sendmail
masquerading domains in class w (addresses this sendmail considers as
`local') leaving only the domains explicitly added to class M, ie by
use of MASQUERADE_DOMAIN() in the .mc file.

Mind you, I tend to agree with you about other MTAs --- sendmail will
eventually do just about anything you can think of doing with a
mailer, but it can take detailed knowledge of the arcana to make it
happen.  Other MTAs tend to have rather less, um, involuted
configuration.

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way
Tel: +44 1628 476614                                  Marlow
Fax: +44 0870 0522645                                 Bucks., SL7 1TH UK