Masquerade the from field using sendmail

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at plasm.demon.co.uk
Fri May 24 19:07:31 BST 2002

On Tue, May 21, 2002 at 09:16:22PM +0100, I wrote:

> This will alter the message header, but not the envelope sender ---
> which usually appears in the delivered e-mail as the `From' (no colon)
> line.  It's the envelope sender who will get any bounce-o-grams.  You
> can only override the envelope sender ( -fuser at host.dom.ain on the
> sendmail command line) if the sending user is listed under class `t'
> --- Trusted users.  By default that's root, daemon or uucp, but you
> can modify the list by adding something like this to your .mc file:
>
> FEATURE(`use_ct_file')dnl
> define(`confCT_FILE', `-o /etc/mail/trusted-users')dnl
>
> which makes sendmail read in trusted users from the
> /etc/mail/trusted-users file --- one user name per line.  That's the
> default value for the file name btw, but using a `-o' flag as shown
> will stop sendmail complaining if that file doesn't exist.

Just a note that if you're using 4.5-STABLE from 2002-03-25 or later,
and hence the non-setuid sendmail-8.12.x, then the trusted user stuff
should go into the configuration for the mail submission queue daemon:
that's /etc/mail/freebsd-submit.mc by default or whatever alternative
you select by setting SENDMAIL_SUBMIT_MC in /etc/make.conf

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way
Tel: +44 1628 476614                                  Marlow
Fax: +44 0870 0522645                                 Bucks., SL7 1TH UK