IP Aliases on a DHCP Network

Dimitris Dimitris
Fri May 24 19:08:56 BST 2002

On Fri, 24 May 2002 17:06:52 +0100, Jon Dean wrote:

>One quick question:
>Is it possible to get a network interface to obtain a second IP address=

>from a DHCP server and use it as an alias on the interface?
>I've looked over the docs and googled but I can't find anything relatin=
>to this.

Looking at the DHCP Server for OS/2 Warp Server, it seems that it
may not be possible by default because the DHCP server remembers
the interface number, thus it knows that a single interface is
asking for a new IP when it already has one. Ofcourse there might be
an option to permit/deny this functionality.

Not sure about other DHCP servers, but since the server knows about
this, it may be possible to allow it to assign multiple IP's to a single=
 interface.

The DHCP client should also be able to know how to assign aliases.

=FE H.I.C. & D.B.S. =FE OS/2 Warp =FE Hellas =FE
=FE ServerConfig =FE ConfigEdit =FE OS/2 UK UG =FE
=FE Live fast, die young, and leave a handsome corpse =FE