SpeedTouch problems

Dimitris Dimitris
Fri May 24 16:15:14 BST 2002

On Fri, 24 May 2002 14:36:39 +0100, Andrew Boothman wrote:

>You might want to look at the messageboards on
>http://bbs.adslguide.org.uk since they seem to have quite a few people =

>operating ADSL connections with either Linux or *BSD systems. Perhaps
>there is some relevent stuff on there.

thanks, i'll take a look.

>I do remember reading on there that some people were generally
>dissatisfied with the reliability of USB-based modems, and that
>PCI-based ones were becoming more popular. Unfourtunately however, I
>believe that there isn't (much|any) support for these modems under *BSD=

>yet. Although there is open source Linux support, so perhaps someone
>will port it over soon.

USB devices are half software half hardware based. Thus a device
which requires extensive computational power uses extensive CPU cycles.

Devices such as ADSL or Ethernet are a bad choice for USB because
the USB driver will use extreme CPU power to do the same job that
a 'real' device would do with 0% cpu usage (external stand alone adsl,
or ethernet pci card).

Thus an Ethernet/ADSL USB device will be a VERY bad choice
for a 300mhz or less cpu.

USB indeed wasn't made to drive high bandwidth devices, its perpose is t=
create future computers with a single type connection which is simple to=
 use,
to connect home devices like Mice, Webcams, keyboards etc.

The choice to make USB devices half software and half hardware was made
to create cheaper USB devices for home use, at the cost of higher cpu us=
age.

Sorry for the long post :]

=FE H.I.C. & D.B.S. =FE OS/2 Warp =FE Hellas =FE
=FE ServerConfig =FE ConfigEdit =FE OS/2 UK UG =FE
=FE Live fast, die young, and leave a handsome corpse =FE