SpeedTouch problems

Andrew Boothman andrew at cream.org
Fri May 24 14:36:39 BST 2002

Dimitris wrote:
> Hey everyone.
>
> This is my first post in the list, so a short introduction is in order, i'm Dimitris
> and live in Southampton, been managing fbsd/linux/solaris servers for many years,
> also using fbsd 4.5-R at home to run my ADSL.
>
> So now to my problem...
>
> Every now and then, my connection slows down to a crawl or stops temporarily, and
> the reason is these errors:
> pppoa2[396]: CRC error in an AAL5 frame

You might want to look at the messageboards on
http://bbs.adslguide.org.uk since they seem to have quite a few people
operating ADSL connections with either Linux or *BSD systems. Perhaps
there is some relevent stuff on there.

I do remember reading on there that some people were generally
dissatisfied with the reliability of USB-based modems, and that
PCI-based ones were becoming more popular. Unfourtunately however, I
believe that there isn't (much|any) support for these modems under *BSD
yet. Although there is open source Linux support, so perhaps someone
will port it over soon.

Andrew.