SpeedTouch problems

Dave Peacock davejpeacock at btinternet.com
Thu May 23 22:50:59 BST 2002

Hey there

This is a very non-technical "voodoo" style answer. I suffered similar
problems when I ran my speedtouch on 4.5. I also suffered general connection
problems. I didn't bother to investigate too much, so I apologise for not
being able to provide decent information.

However, the FreeBSD ported driver etc was developed and QA'd (if such a
thing exists in the Open Source world!) under FreeBSD 4.4. Thus I installed
4.4 on my firewall and every problem I had magically dissapeared. I don't
know what changed in BSD that causes the problem, but I suspect this might
be the issue.

I am happily tracking RELENG_4_4 on my firewall, but of course with the
imminent release of 4.6 and 5.0, I doubt the 4.4 security branch will be
maintained for much longer. It's up to you what you want to do - you might
try getting in touch with the current maintainer of the driver and see if
they are porting to 4.5/4.6.

HTH, HAND.