big hard disk fun

Alex Ingram alex at nuttyxander.com
Thu May 23 15:03:06 BST 2002

Hello, last time I posted I was suffering bad bandwidth and trying to
install off the net, but thanks to the wonder of a job, I now have
broadband ;)

So, anyway, my mp3 collection finally outgrew it's 60GB home, so I bit
the bullet and bought a 120GB Western Digital with 8MB cache, it's nice
:)

However, after putting it into my Asus k7m machine (with latest bios),
it locked up on trying to detect the hard disk, though it boots when set
to auto, though it detects it as:

14593 Cylinder
255 Head
63 Sectors
65535MB
LBA

Listed on the website, it's specs are:

Cylinders16,383
  Number of Heads (Logical)16
Number of Heads (Physical)6
Sectors Per Track63
120,034 MB

FreeBSD 4.5 setup seems to detect the correct size of drive, though it
gives a warning to the effect that FreeBSD should be set to use the same
geometry as the BIOS.

Anyway, what's the best way to set this up?

If it's going to be at all problematic, I'm thinking that I would like
to build a small and quiet little server machine for near minimal cost,
any recommendations in that case?

Thanks in advance.
--
alex @ nuttyxander.com  | http://nuttyxander.com/