Masquerade the from field using sendmail

Jon Schneider jon at axismilton.ltd.uk
Tue May 21 15:57:47 BST 2002

On 21 May 2002, at 15:15, Mervyn Passmore wrote:

> I have a 4.5 BSD server that does our transactions, like invoices etc. I
> would like it to email our customers as the order status changes. I want the
> message to appear to come from our sales dept, but sendmail uses the
> server's login and server name. I can alter the 'Reply to', but not the
> 'From' by sendmail options.

There should be no need whatsoever to go mucking about with the
global configuration of sendmail to achieve something which is
_entirely_ under the control of the mail client (the thing that invokes
sendmail) such as setting headers.

However in your case it sounds like you might not be able to control the client.
Can you confirm this is the case ? If so you might be able to make
it invoke a wrapper for sendmail to tweak the message and/or
options.

	Jon