Mozilla

Roger McCalman roger at runcircle.co.uk
Tue May 14 12:55:27 BST 2002

On Tue, May 14, 2002 at 12:12:09PM +0100, Natalie S. Ford wrote:
> On Tue, May 14, 2002 at 09:52:13AM +0100, Dominic Marks wrote:
> > Your connection is dial-up with timed cut-offs, right?
>
> Yup.
>
> > That really screws up ports and pkg_add.
>
> Tell me about it!
>
> > Perhaps you could sweet talk (or purchase :)) one of those FreeBSD
> > services DVDs (assuming you have a DVD-Rom), I believe they come with
> > a complete package set.
>
> D'OH!  I *have* one!  Now all I need to know is how to mount a cd or dvd
> in fbsd...

I just followed http://www.daemonnews.org/200202/automounting.html to setup to allow
the rest of the family access to the cdrom and floppy without root access.

It works well. The only change I made was to create a group floppy which is the group
owner of the floppy directory i.e.

	echo >> /etc/group "floppy:*:4446:user1,user2,user3"
	chown floppy /mnt/floppy
	chmod g+w /mnt/floppy

so that users in the floppy group have write access.

I can't use the console trick as I run 4 X-servers on F6-F9 so everyone can keep thier
desktop without logging in and out.

Cheers, Roger