kdm configuration on 4.4

Neil Hoggarth njh at kernighan.demon.co.uk
Sun May 12 12:11:07 BST 2002

On Sat, 11 May 2002, Andrew Hodgson wrote:

> Thanks and yes, it was a typo on my part. But the instructions you
> directed me to don't work either. Can anyone else help? Maybe somebody
> who's set it up on 4.4 - bear in mind that I've read the handbook, and
> pretty much everything else on the net.

I have KDM running on 4.5-STABLE, using KDE-2.2 from ports. Unfortunately,
I can't remember doing anything unusual to get it to work.

I can contribute the fact that "Unknown command line option 'ttyv8'"
message is a red herring - you always get this on the console when running
KDM from /etc/ttys, even when KDM is working properly (init passes the
terminal name to the getty process that it spawns, kdm doesn't know what
this is, and comments on the fact - it carries on running though).

Regards,

Neil.