kdm configuration on 4.4

John Murphy jfm at blueyonder.co.uk
Sat May 11 17:11:38 BST 2002

"Andrew Hodgson" <hodgsonandrew at 4mymail.co.uk> wrote:

>I am trying to get kdm to start at boot

I don't use kdm myself so the following is just a possibility.

>I've followed the instructions in the handbook,
>ie. editing /etc/ttys on tty8.

I can't find a single reference to tty8 in the handbook.

The section to follow seems to be 5.7.3.1 which then refers to section 5.6.2
which implies that you should have a line in etc/ttys saying:

  ttyv8  "/usr/local/bin/kdm -nodaemon"  xterm   off secure
     ^(ttyv8)

>When I ctrl-alt-F1 back to tty0 there is an error message:
>"login:[some stuff here]unknown command line option tty8"

Perhaps it _was_ just a typo then (I know how frustrating that can be).

>I've also employed solutions given to others who've suffered the same
>problem, via their postings to forums. Nothing seems to work.

There's another variation on the instructions to get it going at:
http://people.freebsd.org/~nsayer/ in the KDE section.

HTH
John.