kdm configuration on 4.4

Andrew Hodgson hodgsonandrew at 4mymail.co.uk
Sat May 11 00:57:41 BST 2002

Dear All,

I am trying to get kdm to start at boot, and yes, I have scoured the net for help. But still the
same problem plagues me - kdm starts fine (although with the console log box in the corner,
which I'd like to turn off (hint, hint)) but it won't log in to kde - I type in my login and it just
flashes offscreen, then appears again. It's very frustrating.

I've followed the instructions in the handbook, ie. editing /etc/ttys on tty8. When I ctrl-alt-F1
back to tty0 there is an error message: "login:[some stuff here]unknown command line
option tty8"

I've also employed solutions given to others who've suffered the same problem, via their
postings to forums. Nothing seems to work. I should say that, I've copied pretty much all the
files from /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm to /usr/local/share/config/kdm, and that got me to the
stage I'm at now. I also renamed Xsetup_0 to Xsetup. This seems to have gotten the
background to appear with kdm. But all this is from just following the error messages I've
been given at boot. I guess I'm nearly there, but it's late and I'm worn out. I hate kludging
my way through like this, it really shouldn't happen!

I know this is a pretty simple stumbling block (grovel, grovel) but I haven't got my act
together to write a script to start kdm from the /etc/rc(.conf?) file. Maybe that would be a
better strategy for this. Any hints appreciated.

(All this to avoid typing 'startx' at login!)

Sincerely,

Andrew.