Using CVSup

Paul Richards paul at freebsd-services.com
Thu May 9 16:07:50 BST 2002

On Thu, 2002-05-09 at 16:03, Steve Greenshaw wrote:
> Ah!
>
> It would appear that there is a step missing in the tutorial that I
> followed (from FreeBSD Unleashed ... generally a very good book, I
> think). No mention of 'make update' in this though.
>
> My 'make.conf' in /etc (again following the guide in the book) contains:
>
> ///
> CFLAGS= -O -pipe
> NOPROFILE= true
> ///
>
> I take it that I should add uncommented versions of:
>
> ///
> #SUP_UPDATE=     yes
> #SUP=            /usr/local/bin/cvsup
> #SUPFLAGS=       -g -L 2
> #SUPHOST=        cvsup.uk.FreeBSD.org
> #SUPFILE=        /usr/share/examples/cvsup/stable-supfile
> #PORTSSUPFILE=   /usr/share/examples/cvsup/ports-supfile
> #DOCSUPFILE=     /usr/share/examples/cvsup/doc-supfile
> ///
>
> I would point the SUPHOST to the same as in my cvsupfile? and the final
> three would all point to my cvsupfile?

If you're cvsupping the cvs rep then you only need to point SUPFILE at
your cvsupfile, the others won't be used.

> At what stage do I then have to do a 'make update'?

A make update will run cvsup, and then do a cvs update of your source
tree.

You need to run make update, before make world, so you get the most up
to date sources before you start building.

--
Paul Richards                   |  FreeBSD DVD releases and merchandise.
FreeBSD Services Ltd            |  Hardware, support and development.